Coconut Quinoa Porridge with Camu Chia Berry Compote
The addition of a compote infused with Camu Camu to the porridge makes this a filling breakfast that will last well until lunch. Adding some diced goldenberries would add a nice vitamin boost, too.
Coconut Quinoa Porridge
– Add all ingredients into a saucepan.
– Bring to the boil. Then, allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. It’s ready when the porridge is smooth and you can see the quinoa grains starting to open up.
– Serve with Camu Chia Berry Compote (recipe below), spiced almond & coconut flakes (recipe below) and a sprinkling of goji berries to top it all off.
Camu Chia Berry Compote
– Cook berries and chia seeds in a saucepan over a medium heat until a jam-like consistency is achieved.
– Remove from heat and let cool.
– Mix in raw honey and Camu Camu powder.
– Serve over Coconut Quinoa Porridge.
Spiced Almond & Coconut Flakes
– Add all ingredients to a non-stick pan and dry roast until fragrant.
– Serve over Coconut Quinoa Porridge and Camu Chia Berry Compote.
~~~What I USED to MAKE~~~
When we received some wonderful products from Kazu, I found the awesome recipe for Coconut Quinoa Porridge with Camu Chia Berry Compote that I shared above. It uses some of the best superfoods on the market.
Here are some details about the super foods that I used to make it!
Goldenberry (Physalis peruviana)
This superfood is it not a true berry.
It’s in the tomato family and closely related to the tomatillo.
Kazu 100% Organic Goldenberries are harvested from selected areas in northern mountains in Peru where growing conditions are at their best.
- 100% Certified Organic, Kosher, Gluten-free, Vegan and Raw
- A Good Source of a Variety of Vitamins and Minerals: iron, protein, fiber, and vitamins A, C, B1, B2, B6 and B12.
- Directly Harvested in northern Peru, each goldenberry is handpicked from small, family farms and then immediately dried a few miles away in a FDA certified facility to provide superior quality and maintain freshness.
- Unique Flavor gives a boost to oatmeal, salads, cereal, yogurts, and desserts.
The extremely high vitamin C content is the most important property of this fruit.
Kazu ® 100% Organic Raw Camu Camu … The little camu camu berry from South America packs the highest recorded amount of natural vitamin C known on the planet, as well as tons of other vitamins and minerals essential to keeping you looking and feeling young.
- 100% CERTIFIED: Organic, Kosher, Gluten-free, Vegan, Raw
- EXTRA FINE POWDER: 80 mesh powder to ensure better mixing. Most camu camu powders are only 60 mesh and thus have a harder time dissolving in water.
- PERFECT FOR BLENDING: Blends well with smoothies, juices, desserts, baking, desserts, oatmeal, coffee tea, and more
- MAINTAINS FRESHNESS: This fine powder is produced only a few miles from the farms in which it grows to ensure freshness and this can help preserve more of the essential nutrients, antioxidants, and amino acids of camu camu
- BEST POSSIBLE PRICE, QUALITY, AND QUANTITY COMBINATION: Kazu ® Organic Camu Camu is imported directly from the farms and bypasses middle-men to provide the best price, quality, and quantity combination possible to customers!
- The fruit tends to have a sour taste, which is why it is often consumed as a powder supplement. Try one teaspoon of powder once a week. You can add it to oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies or make a refreshing citrus soda with seltzer water, camu camu powder and a splash of lemon juice.
Chia Seed (Salvia hispanica)
Chia is a species of flowering plant in the mint family and the word is derived from the Mayan language, meaning “strength.” Aztec warriors relied on chia seed to boost energy and increase stamina.
Kazu 100% Raw Chia Seeds contain a wealth of fiber—5 grams in just one tablespoon. It is the fiber in chia that causes chia seed to swell when combined with water, creating chia gel. Whether you eat chia gel or just the raw seeds, the hydrophilic action of chia seed will keep you feeling full longer than many other seeds.
- 100% Certified Raw and Natural, no additives, chemicals or flavorings.
- Excellent source of Omega-3, protein, antioxidants, nutrients, and fiber
- Add to smoothies, beverages, yogurt, oatmeal, soups, salads, and baking, and more.
- The chia seed natural does not have to strong of a taste, but when added to your favorite recipes, chia can add texture and a crunch! A great way to get more essential nutrients with little hassle.
- The mild, nutty flavor of chia seed goes well with both sweet and savory dishes. Use chia seed in puddings and smoothies, sprinkle on top of porridge and salads, and add to baked goods in place of flaxseed meal or poppy seeds.
Benefits of Chia Seeds:
- There’s evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure
- Are the richest plant source of Omega-3
- Slows down how fast your body converts carbohydrates into simple sugars
- They are easier to digest than flax seeds
- Deliver a Massive Amount of Nutrients With Very Few Calories
- Almost All The Carbs in Them Are Fiber
- High in calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and protein which are important for bone health.
Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa)
This member of the goosefoot genus is a grain crop grown primarily for its edible seeds.
Quinoa has been cultivated on the high plateaus of the Peruvian Andes for the last 5,000 years. It was referred to as the “Mother Grain” by indigenous people because of its vast nutritional and medicinal properties, Quinoa was one of the principle food products in many Andean villages in those Pre-Incan times.
- 100% Certified USDA organic. 100% Quinoa Grains, and contains no other additives, ingredients, colorants, or flavorings. The product is Gluten Free and a very good option for Vegans.
- Pre-washed- During preparation of our quinoa, the bitter-tasting saponin covering is removed and the grain is washed and disinfected. All you have to do is rinse and use a 2:1 water to quinoa ratio when cooking.
- High vitamin and mineral value- Quinoa is also a good source of dietary fiber and minerals such as phosphorus, calcium, magnesium and iron, copper and manganese, folic acid and vitamins including B1, B2, B3, and B6.
- Nutritional properties and health benefits- Quinoa has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value. Quinoa is it is gluten-free, easy to digest and has a delicious flavor. Quinoa has a very high protein content, as much as milk, and is referred to as a complete protein since it contains the complete spectrum of essential amino acids required by the human body.
- Kazu ® 100% Organic Quinoa is harvested, processed, and imported directly from the farms to ensure that customers receive the best possible price, quantity, and quality combinations.
Try the awesome recipe that I found on Lifestyle Health and let me know what you think.
Looking for more great information about Chia Seeds?
Check out this awesome post on cookingdective.com