- Add just a pinch of sugar to the warm water. Then, combine the yeast with the warm water.In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in the shortening, the mixture will be lumpy.
- Pour in the yeast water and milk into the flour mixture and stir until a dough ball forms.Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled in size (about 60-90 minutes).
- Plop the dough out on a floured work surface and divide into six equal parts.
- Roll each muffin into a ball. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover, and allow to rise for an additional hour.Heat a cast iron skillet (or other oven-safe pan) over medium heat.
- Add a teaspoon of oil. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side. You want each side to get very brown, but not burnt.
- Once you’ve cooked each side put the skillet in the oven at 400°F for 10-12 minutes until the English muffins are cooked through.
I found this recipe on A Beautiful Mess.