Weight Watchers Get Healthy Freestyle Journey – Week 2
2 SmartPoints Chili Recipe
As I finish up my second full week of the Weight Watcher’s program it’s time once again to reflect on my week. My family was awesome and supportive all week. Although, Marcus wasn’t too impressed when I handed him what he called a “Super Model” breakfast. Truth be told, I wanted a bagel but only half of one so I gave him my other half and two cut up strawberries on a plate. In my defense, they were big strawberries. I also went and put a whole bagel in the toaster for him.
My Game Day Chili Recipe
Look no further for the ultimate, easy chili recipe. At just 2 SmartPoints per serving this delicious chili is not only perfect for game day but also busy weeknights and weekends.
- 1 pound fresh (99% lean) ground turkey
- 1 (46- ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney or pinto beans, drained
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped
- 1 large container mushrooms, sliced or (6 – 8 ounce) can or jar sliced mushrooms, drained and squeezed to remove excess water
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup chili powder (use less for milder chili)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use less for milder chili)
- 2 teaspoons oil (reduce or omit if you are using 95% lean or lower ground meat)
- Add oil to a large skillet, brown the ground meat, fresh mushrooms, and onions
- Drain off the fat
- Put the mixture and the remaining ingredients in a 6-quart pot
- Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. You can also cook in a slow cooker on low for 3 to 4 hours. Makes 6 servings.
Add chopped green peppers to the skillet or a can of diced tomatoes to the pot.
I like to top mine with a bit of green onion and fat-free shredded cheese.
How my freestyle weight loss week went:
My first big hurdle this week came on weigh in day as it was also Super Bowl Sunday. My big game snacks consisted of celery sticks and hummus, a parfait made from unsweetened greek yogurt sweetened with a few drops of NuStevia Alcohol-Free Vanilla and strawberries, and a bowl of game day chili (recipe below) at dinnertime.
The week started with our neighbor bringing over a batch of cookies. I must confess that I used most of my SmartPoints that I had banked to eat a few of. Then, I left the rest of the calorie bombs for Marcus to enjoy. Midweek found me faced with reviewing four flavors of apple cider at 5 points per KCUP! The temptation keep coming as Saturday it was chocolate covered cherry coffee. No calories in the coffee but the candies that we planned to use in the photographs of the coffee sure did. Did you know that chocolate covered cherries have 4 SmartPoints EACH?! The rest of my week was spent continuing to adapt to my new way of thinking and decision making. Another week of strategizing and exploring new recipes.
Once again, it was the moment of truth. How much damage had I done? I found my way to the scale for my weekly weigh-in. Nervously, I stepped on the scale and was relieved to see that I had lost 2 pounds this week! Until next week… Remember to stay positive and keep looking forward.
Where are you?
Where are you on your journey? Do you like your Chili spicy or mild? Do you enjoy cornbread, crackers, or something else with yours? What is your favorite add-in for chili? I would love if you would let me know.
Share your thoughts below or on my Facebook fan page.
I am not a medical professional. The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.